Wednesday 3 February 2010

Spoke too Soon and Jinxed Myself

So, what was it, four days ago that I announced my astonishment with that fact that I was still losing weight on a daily basis? Well, that'll teach me to hush my mouth because ever since I posted about it, I've not lost a single pound. In fact, me and the pounds have been playing a little game of ping-pong. Saturday: 17st 9lbs (247lbs) - lowest weight yet

Sunday: 17st 11lbs (249lbs) - GAIN of 2lbs -YIKES (although I did weigh post-breakfast which I don't usually)

Monday: 17st 9lbs (247lbs) - back to the lowest weight

Tuesday: 17st 10lbs (248lbs) - GAIN of 1lb (although first time I stepped on scales they did register 17st 9lbs, but I just had to get on again to double check, and then look what happened!)

Wednesday: 17st 9lbs (247lbs)- back to lowest weight again

I was interested to read on Tracy's blog about the idea of actually eating a little more in order to get the scales moving again (downwards, that is; I'm sure we're all well aware of how to get them moving upwards!) I've always had a notion (which I'm thinking I must have read somewhere) about the body going into starvation mode when you really cut your calories down for a sustained period. It's like the body hangs on to all the fat it already has and every single calorie it can get its hands on; but then you go and fool it into thinking it doesn't need to panic anymore by having a day where you eat a little more than you have been and then it seems happy to let go of a little more of the fat it has been storing for emergencies. Or something like that.

4 comments:

  1. I'm of the same mind. Although I think right now with us just having had our surgeries so recently, our bodies might also be a little traumatized and holding onto everything. That's my theory, anyway. I'm doing weird things with weight these days...one day holding steady, the next day down 7.5 lbs, the next day up 3 lbs...I've never fluctuated like that before. I'm just trying to keep my calories under 1200 and hoping the rest will take care of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is funny because the same thing is happening to me. I was banded on the 19th, and I pretty much have been losing weight daily, untill, my diet changed to mushies..I am very watchful on what I am eating and how much, but since Friday I have only lost 1.5 lbs. Talk about discouraging. I too am wondering if our bodies were so used to the liquids, and now its just adjusting...? Hopefully

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took quite a bit of thought before I decided to eat more and I only really went crazy the one day (up to 1400). I think it makes sense for the most part if you're stuck on the scale to change something up a bit. More calories was scary for me, but it seems to have done the trick. I am back to 1000-1200 calories now and I will stay there until I get stuck again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree with the upping the calorie thing. For years it made me feel better to up my calories when the scale did not move but post band..eating less and exercising more has worked sooner or later. You are early on this thing. It will happen many times before and after you get good restriction. just keep plodding along and don't get discouraged! Your are doing great so far.

    ReplyDelete