Tuesday 30 March 2010

Willpower? Que?

No, no, no, I didn't sign up for this! Willpower, you say? No, no, no, you must have mistaken me for someone who can diet. Isn't that what willpower is for?!

So, here's the deal. I don't think the fill I had last week (my second) has made any difference to the amount I can eat; if anything, I feel like I can eat/am eating more than pre-fill (is it physical or psychosomatic?) So, I called to make an appointment for another one; my surgeon asks for a two-week gap between fills, which I fully appreciate. That would mean 8th April as the soonest I can get another; but my surgeon is on holiday then and the earliest I can get an appointment is 21st April - aarrrgggghh. That's three weeks tomorrow. At the rate I'm eating I'll have put all my weight back on by then! So, I emailed his office to see if the other surgeon could perhaps give me a fill before then, but it doesn't work like that, except in emergencies, apparently. Also, my surgeon wants me to wait until the 21st as he doesn't like to give too many fills too close together in the early days as it can lead to band slippage later on. Anyone else heard that? Anyhoo, the lady I spoke to who co-ordinates these things, said I should try experimenting with different foods to see if I can find some that fill me up for longer and that, also, I may have to rely on willpower for a bit. AYYYEEEEE! Clearly willpower is not one of my strong points or I would never have got to the position of needing a band in the first place. However, maybe since it's only willpower in the short term, perhaps I can manage it. Hubby suggested we both go on the pre-op diet for the next 2-3 weeks since it was so successful last time (7lbs lost in 10 days) and since it actually isn't too bad (ie, you get to eat a fair amount of real food!), and that sounds like a (fairly) good idea, so that's probably what we'll do (give or take the two days we're in Bristol, the three I'm in Harrogate, and the two we're in Wigan between now and fill day...)

7 comments:

  1. Hang in there. You can do this!!! The pre-op diet sounds like an interesting way to stay ahead of the curve. Keep us posted...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willpower is for suckers!! Just kidding! Sometimes it is necessary - which defiantly sucks. I hope that you can get through this without too much trouble, I am sue you can - you have come this far. I didn't have any kind of pre-op diet - would you mind letting me know what the guidelines are for it? Just curious! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it takes a while for a fill to kick in. In my case it can take up to 2 weeks to really feel my fill. Maybe this is what is happening with you. If not just try and eat solid protein and do what you can until you get in for that fill. good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck repeating your pre-op diet but hope that the fill kicks in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wondering if you surgeon sells willpower-I could use some if he does. I figure we paid so much for the band, they could give us discounts on the willpower. Hope you can get by on the liquid diet. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No need to stress. Even if the fill doesn't kick in (mine has several times after two weeks) you will eventually get a fill and you will eventually be off to losing again. Maybe you can just do the best you can for now in the short term but keep in mind that this is for the long term and you know eventually you will be getting restriction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for your comments. Luckily the pre-op diet isn't liquids only - not sure I could cope with that!

    Tina, you are right, I shouldn't stress about it; I need to remember it's a long term thing and that the next three weeks is such a small amount of time in the grand scheme of things.

    Sandy Lee - I'll ask the surgeon for some of this magical willpower stuff (in solid form, so I have something to chew on) next time I see him. And I'll let you all have the recipe...

    ReplyDelete